Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Anniversary Nothings

Today is the one year anniversary of "A Thousand Little Nothings."

Can a blog have anniversaries?
Why in the world do I know that?
Who cares?

These are the questions in my head, so if they are in yours as well...I don't mind. And the answers to the questions in my head and yours are:

I don't know if a blog can have anniversaries or not. I don't care. I am a rebel.

I know its the one year anniversary because I remember thinking, on this day last year, that it was a goofy day to start a blog-the day BEFORE Valentine's Day.

Probably no one cares. I don't even care that much, except all day I've been thinking I need to sit down and blog, but I have nothing interesting to say today...and that got me thinking about the fact that, most of the time, I don't really have anything interesting to say, but I keep writing anyway.

Because I'm a rebel, remember?

If I'm honest, I have been waiting for one of my kids to do something outrageous and/or horrifying today that I could make into a funny blog post. But they have been surprisingly normal. Something is obviously wrong with them.

And so, on this day of celebrating one full year of NOTHINGS, I will just say a few of the things on my mind that aren't long enough to make blog posts on their own.

Maybe this post should be titled, "A Dozen Little Nothings."

~We didn't do school today. I needed to run to the store (and by need, I mean the new 007 movie came out yesterday and I hadn't purchased it yet) so we read some books and did some Bible study lessons, and then after we got home we cleaned house. I'm calling it "Home Ec. Day."

~I have recently decided that I'm no longer going to feed my children. They are growing way too fast. Faith needs new undergarments, Clay needs new tennis shoes, Nate needs jeans, and Gabe...well, Gabe just needs spankings all the time. Maybe if I quit feeding them they will quit growing, and I will have money to go to Starbucks and buy movies about James Bond.

~I have so many wonderful friends in my life these days that I don't even have time to keep up with all of them. After several years of ZERO friends, you would think I would be thrilled. And I am...I'm just out of touch more than I like to be with my friends. I'm currently considering ways to offend a few of them so I can cut down my group to a more manageable size.

~People who laugh at things you say are the most fun people to hang out with, aren't they? I've decided that's why everyone loves my sister, Sarah. She laughs in all the right places. So does my friend Beth Ann, and my friend Jamilla, and my friend Brandy, and my best friend Sarah. In fact...I am pretty sure I have strategically surrounded myself with people who laugh at the things I say when I'm trying to be funny. That possibly reveals something about me needing the validation of others...

~I have the most wonderful parents. In. The. World. Nuf said.

~The other night Nate was laying on my bed with me, during evening snuggle time, and he gave me a big wet kiss. Then he looked at Heath and said with a smirk, "I just kissed your wife on the lips."

~The bathroom that my three boys share always, always smells slightly like pee. One day I almost passed out from sniffing every single surface trying to find the source of the smell. Its nowhere. Its everywhere. Its freaking ridiculous.

~It makes me a little bit sad that my daughter, Faith, will never have any sisters. I guess its because I am so, so, so close to my own sisters. But, she and her brothers are really good friends (they are currently holed up in her room playing legos), and I'm sure they will be again once they get through the years of her having a crush on a boy and them making her life miserable because of it. Besides, one very wonderful perk of her being the only other girl in the house is: she and I are really good friends.

~I have recently been informed that cake is a ministry, and I have decided that I am a believer.

~My favorite book in the Bible is James.

~A month ago I adopted the word "stupid" to say in place of a different 'S' word that sometimes wants to jump off my tongue. Stupid is a word I don't let my kids say, so it almost-almost- feels like I am saying the other word. Except it doesn't always work in conversation, and there aren't any other tenses of the word stupid...so it sounds like I have a stupid-y vocabulary.

~I am having my book published. Soon. I'm in the end stages of editing, and then the publisher says we will start working on designing the cover. Holy Stupid. I'm freaking out a little bit.

Alright, I did it! That was one dozen totally random and useless things. You're probably wishing you hadn't read all that, huh? If it makes you feel any better, my husband will undoubtedly wish I hadn't written all of it, and he will make his yelling face at me.

Happy Anniversary to my blog. Thank you to all of you who read it and laugh in all the right places. And thank you to all of you who read it, judge me, and choose NOT to tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Athens

"People of Athens, I see that you are very religious in every way, for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your ...