Saturday, November 26, 2022

Athens

"People of Athens, I see that you are very religious in every way, for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your altars had this inscription on it: "To an Unknown God." This God, whom you worship without knowing, is the one I am telling you about..." Acts 17:22-23

Looking out over the city of Athens, bustling with modern activity on one side of the Areopagus and paying homage to the ancient origins of the Parthenon on the other...I resonated with the Apostle Paul. He was deeply troubled as he surveyed the city and its idols, the Bible tells us. I feel that too. 

Everywhere there is evidence of the need for Jesus. When Paul walked the streets, no one had ever heard of the Man, the Savior he loved, and I love, so dearly. I can only imagine how his spirit yearned to introduce each hurting person he saw to the One who had come down and saved Paul from his own pit of despair.

Ancient Athens was a city willing to worship many gods. I find the streets of modern Athens to be much the same. 

It startles me. Having visited Ancient Rome, with much evidence of its history of idolatry and carnality, but just as much noticeable influence of faith in God, I assumed Athens would be the same.

After all, Paul stood on that hill and preached of Jesus. He spoke with such conviction that I am moved to tears reading the rest of his sermon in Acts 17. And, according to the chapter, some people did become followers of Christ. But many others sneered.

That is how I find modern day Athens. There are a few churches...but there is much more flagrant evidence of sin.

Leaving the city and journeying to the ancient places has given my spirit a rest from the assault of the ways of the world. I adore history in all its forms. The ancient Greeks knew how to build amazing structures to honor their gods...gods made in their own image and given to the same weaknesses as they were. These gods did not require the people to change their tendencies of sin, but were, themselves, in every way the same. They were spiteful and vengeful and unforgiving and short-tempered and full of lust and greed and a thirst for power. It was easy to worship them. It required nothing from the people. No need for them to change their ways. No conviction. No death of their flesh and its desires. 

And so the people built them temples that have lasted, in part, for thousands of years.

I want to stand on the Areopagus and shout again, as Paul did: "He is the God who made the world and everything in it...He Himself gives life and breath to everything, and He satisfies every need..." HE IS THE ONLY ONE WORTHY OF WORSHIP!

Instead, I pray. I talk to my sweet Savior, my beloved Friend, and I ask Him to make my life a monument built to honor Him. I want my life, this temple, to speak of the One I serve. One who is not like me in any way. He is kind and compassionate, slow to anger and full of unfailing love and faithfulness. He needs nothing, and yet He desires fellowship with me. 

This God, this Jesus, this Holy Spirit...I am so grateful to carry Him with me, to not have to go to a temple or a church or any specific place to meet with Him. 

If only the whole world knew...if only I could shout it eloquently enough.

Oh Lord, make my life a monument worthy of who You are. Make me noticeably different than the world, so that there will be noticeable evidence of You. 

For "in Him we live and move and have our being..." Acts 17:28



No comments:

Post a Comment

Athens

"People of Athens, I see that you are very religious in every way, for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your ...