Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sibling Sensations

Its Sibling Day. (yes, apparently that is a real thing)

I didn't know about it until today, when my sister posted it on my Facebook wall.

It got me thinking about families, and siblings in particular. And it makes sense to me that if we celebrate mothers, and fathers, and Presidents, and veterans, we should also celebrate siblings. And before you gasp in horror that I have placed brothers and sisters in the same category as George Washington, and our military vets, and our parents...just here me out. I have prepared my arguments.

We give honor to our mothers because they take care of us, and sacrifice for us, and hold our heads in their laps when we are sick or sad. They love us unconditionally. Period.

We give honor to our fathers because they protect us, and work hard to make our lives better, and correct us when we screw up, and when they tell us they love us...our hearts feel safe.

We give honor to our Presidents and veterans because of their sacrifices for our country. They fought battles, and obstacles, and they kept fighting to secure the liberties we enjoy, the lifestyle we love.

But what about our siblings? What is so special about brothers and sisters?

I can only speak from my own personal experience, so that's what I'll do.

I only have one brother. He's two years younger than me, but he's been bigger than me for most of our lives. He has nearly gotten into a fist fight on my behalf, he has yelled at me, he has cried with me, he has laughed with me and AT me, he has danced with me, he has put his arm around me and called me his "little sister" and he has been a CONSTANT in my life since he was born. I have very few childhood memories that don't include him. His name is Daniel.

I have three sisters. First is Joy. She was the shy one, the quiet one, the one who shook her head and laughed at my craziness, who always reminded me of the big picture. She loved to ask controversial questions, just to get a discussion going. She folded my laundry and put away my dishes every time she was at my house. Other than my husband, she was my roommate for the most years. When I was reading "This Present Darkness" late at night, and she was sleeping in the room, I would tell myself everything was okay, because my sister was with me. (as if she could have protected me from anything. She was a skinny little bean pole of a girl...but she was pretty tough.) She is one of the most remarkable people I have ever known. Saying "I'm Joy's sister" gives me a sense of pride and love that is impossible to convey.

Then there is Sarah. She's like me...a LOT like me. She is the one I text or call when I am having a bad day, and she is the only one who hears ALL of my horrifying admissions. Things I wouldn't say to my best friend...I will say to Sarah. I've been telling her everything since I was 16 and she was 10, and I had just been kissed for the first time and HAD TO TELL someone. We've been mistaken for twins several times. We laugh until we cry every single time we are together. I LOVE for people to know she's my sister. She's just that fantastic.

And finally, there's Rachel. When Mom was pregnant with her, I sincerely prayed for a brother (because I already had two sisters to wreck my stuff, and I wanted Daniel to have someone to wreck HIS stuff) but when I met Rachel for the first time...I was hooked. I'm the oldest, and she's the baby. We have that special connection. I taught her to tie her shoes, and listened to her read her school books, and made her get up in the night and go pee, and told her stories about the angels protecting our house when she was afraid. We have been at each other's throats, we have been each other's biggest fans.

We are siblings. We protect each other, correct each other, fight for each other, fight WITH each other, spend time hating, spend more time loving, and no matter what, it always comes back to one thing. THESE ARE MY PEOPLE. I will land on their side. Period. Unconditionally. Always.

Not just because they have seen me when I was covered in chicken pox, and not just because I know how long they picked their noses and played barbies, and not just because I am SUPPOSED to be on their side. I love them. They are part of who I am. They helped to mold and shape who I am, just like my parents. They are the presidents of my fan club, and the veterans of all the Bausum World Wars.

Sibling Day is definitely a legitimate thing. And if I'd known about it in advance, I would have tried really hard to spend this day hanging out with as many of them as I could...

If you don't have siblings like this, I can only say I'm sorry.

They. Are. The. Best.


Happy Sibling Day to Daniel, Joy, Sarah, and Rachel, the most wonderful siblings I could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Athens

"People of Athens, I see that you are very religious in every way, for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your ...