Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wonderful Love


Last night my husband and I were sitting on our bed (because the 2 year old wanted to watch a cartoon in our room, but only if we sat with him…he’s the baby, what can I say?) The other kids were playing a game, so we took advantage of a few semi-quiet moments to catch up on each other’s day. He told me about the major budget crisis he’d had at work, and then I told him about the time I’d spent writing. I had just finished recounting a story of some crazy thing one of the kids had done…

And all of a sudden he got teary eyed.

“What?” I asked in alarm.

“You,” he responded, “are wonderful. How did I get so lucky?”

Well, I know this would melt almost any heart, and I admit mine sighed out a nearly audible “awww” for a split second…but then my reaction was not what he expected. I laughed out loud.

Seriously? This man sees me when I get up in the morning…BEFORE I apply concealer under my eyes and blush to my cheeks. He witnesses my baggy “Your butt looks as big as Kansas in those” sweat pants on a daily basis. He eats the food I make that turns out slightly less than edible. He intervenes when I am nearing the point of murdering one child or another, and he witnesses the terrifying face of PMS.

The man sitting across from me, who sees my UGLIEST crap…He thinks I’m wonderful???

It’s ludicrous, I tell you.

But that’s how the Lord sees us!!! He sees everything, even the stuff I sometimes manage to hide from my husband. He hears all the words I say in my head but manage to keep from coming out of my mouth, and He hears all the ones that accidently do slip out. (because, let’s face it, when you drop a can of coke on your toe…there are only a few things you can say, and all of them involve one curse word or another) He knows me, intimately, even more than my wonderful man does…and He still loves me, and He still cherishes me, and He still sent His Son to die for me, and He still answers me when I call to Him, and comforts me when I am sad, and corrects me when I am an idiot. HE THINKS I’M WONDERFUL!!!!!

And sitting across from me was a man who was the very model a husband was exhorted to be in Ephesians 5 “Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the church…”

And it was my turn to have eyes filled with tears. I curled up next to him on our bed (after scooting the zoned out 2 year old over a few inches) and laid my head on his chest.

“You’re so crazy,” I told him. “I don’t know why you think I’m wonderful…but I’ll take it. And I think you are pretty great too, by the way.”

And then I kissed him, and the 2 year old, who had previously been ignoring us completely, screamed “EWWW!!!” and jumped up from the bed, running down the hall to tell his siblings we were kissing.

We were alone…and I was feeling very in love. Hmm…it’s possible the whole thing was a set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Athens

"People of Athens, I see that you are very religious in every way, for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your ...